Sharing GIS - Week 4 Lab

This week we learned how to share GIS components and data. To begin the lab, we added basemaps from ArcMaps using the search tool and online with only a blank map open. As simple as this was, I was very impressed that I could get the World Street Map layer online.

Next, we created an ArcGIS Online map with data we chose ourselves. I decided to map the "Top 10 Worst Cities of Georgia" since two of the cities are close to my hometown. (Ahh!) It was nice to know for sure where the cities are located when reviewing the points - during other labs when we have worked with foreign countries this was not the case.

We created an ArcGIS online map, custom map package that could be shared online, and a KML Google Earth Map. My favorite of the three was the map package simply because it could be edited the most; however, for sharing purposes and considering the message I was trying to convey, I believe the three would be equally effective.

Issues:
Step 7-  I didn't change the symbol and attribute table settings within the Top10 layer file before converting it to a kmz file. I had only done this with the Top10 shape file. It was necessary to go back and make these changes again. It may have been easier if I had made these changes to the Top10 layer before creating the shape file from it - perhaps the settings would have applied to both. Going back and forth between ArcMap and Google Earth Maps to see if my settings were correct was the most frustrating part of an otherwise very useful and user-friendly lab process.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Module 2 - Visual Interpretation

Module 5b - Intro to ERDAS Imagine and Digital Data

Module 5a - Intro to ERDAS Imagine and Digital Data