GIS Cartography - Week 3 Lab

In this weeks lab, we learned how to use colors, lines, and symbology to communicate information on a map. For the first map, which compares the population density in each Mexican state, we were expected to choose a graduated color that we felt accurately described the population of each state. It is important to note that the darker the color, the greater the population. Note: I expanded the applicable layers to the size of the paper in print settings, but then reduced their size to fit the title and match the example.
The purpose of the second map is to detail a specific part of Mexico. We used several key features to describe this area including highways, rivers and streams, railroads, and cities with a population greater than one million. It was important to not only have these features present, but to use lines, fonts, and colors that make locating them on the map as simple and "user friendly" as possible. This map gave me the most trouble this week because of an error I made that was not easy to correct. In step 7 of the lab, when I was separating the cities with a population greater than one million from the rest of the cities, I didn't uncheck "label features in this class" for the "default" class before creating the annotation and pressed save before realizing my error. I redid the step correctly several times, but the smaller cities would not go away. I finally realized I could delete each city individually and redid this step. Lesson: it's a good idea to save routinely, but make sure you like what you're saving first! 

The final map is a map of the topography of Mexico and was, for me, a point when I felt like everything came together. I had so much difficulty with the previous map that this one was a breeze! The most beneficial thing I took from this map is learning the difference between classified and stretched symbology. I now recall when the two different styles have been used in maps I've seen before, but I may not have noticed it at the time. While the two could communicate the same information, they differ in their specificity. I also appreciated choosing colors that were realistic. 


This weeks lab was time consuming, but very informative. It is an adjustment for me to encounter computer errors I can't work through on my own, but I am thankful for our very helpful instructors!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Module 2 - Visual Interpretation

Module 5b - Intro to ERDAS Imagine and Digital Data

Module 5a - Intro to ERDAS Imagine and Digital Data